Sunday, February 5, 2017

The Truth: I’m a Survivor

Two things happened this past week that spurred me on to sharing this post.  First, it was reported that Russia voted to decriminalize domestic violence and second, I received a letter confirming my compensation toward my legal fees as a domestic violence victim, the fact of which I am still in disbelief. 


I am not sharing this post in order to air my dirty laundry or to call anyone out.  I simply am telling the truth.  Although my truth is not even close to as hard or as horrible as it is for many other people.  My experience happened just once, prompted by substance abuse, but once was enough.  The only way I learned how I could change my life was to hear others’ truths. So, here is more of my truth – a truth I never imagined my life would contain, a truth I have not shared with very many people. But if sharing this post helps anyone else, it’s worth posting it. 



I am a victim of domestic violence. 
How can this be?
I am a strong, smart woman. 
He was such a kind, gentle, smart man.

I am a victim of addiction. 
How can this be? 
I am a strong, smart woman.  
He was such a kind, gentle, smart man.

I went to court to testify against my ex-husband, my ex-soul mate, my ex-best friend. 

This is one more on the now long list of things I never imagined doing in my life.  
This was not my plan. 
This was not my dream. 

And now, someone else is in charge of the rules. 
Why couldn’t I fix the problems myself?

I didn’t see the danger coming, though others did.
I should have listened. 
I never imagined that my gentle man would harm me in a drunken rage. 

I relive that night over and over, trying to understand it.
But how can one understand it? 
How can we go from trusting someone completely to being completely afraid? 

And still, I wanted to protect him instead of protecting myself.  

Telling the truth was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. 
But the truth will set you free. 

I am a survivor of domestic violence. 

I am a survivor of another’s addiction.

I am a survivor. 


Truth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment