Saturday, October 1, 2016

Ladies of the Club

It was almost like being in a club – a pink-and-white robe ladies club.  For several weeks, we met every day in the afternoon in the inner sanctum, the inner waiting room for patients only at radiation oncology at the Stephanie Spielman Breast Center.  We didn’t really have much in common except that we all had breast cancer and radiation was one of our treatments.  The differences were many – different ages, different races, different cities (one woman even traveling two hours each way daily), different stages of cancer, different amounts of hair, different treatments – even our radiation treatments were very different, as we were to find out.  However, we got along tremendously well – because we understood each other.  We compared everything including insurance plans, treatments, surgeries, side effects, travel issues, jobs, family . . . and we laughed.  One other thing we had in common – we were all very thankful.  It may seem odd to be thankful when you have cancer, but sometimes when you have sunk very low, you become very aware of bright spots in your life.  When life puts you in your lowest spot, positive things appear in your life too.
            Of course, I am not saying that having cancer is easy or at all happy.  My experience with breast cancer has been one of the hardest of my life.  I am nearing the anniversary of my first mammogram.  When I turned 40, I decided to get a mammogram simply because that is what doctors recommend.  I have no recent family history of breast cancer and was not alerted by any suspicious lump.  It was a complete shock to find out that I had breast cancer.  Whatever it was, coincidence or divine intervention, that drove me to get my mammogram, I am truly the most thankful for that.  Even though finding this cancer has led to surgeries, chemo treatments and radiation, none of which was at all pleasant, I was very lucky to have my cancer caught at an early stage. 
            I am also very thankful for the care given by the James Cancer Hospital, specifically the Stephanie Spielman Center.  It is clear that the staff chosen to work at the center is carefully selected to deal with the various complicated needs of the patients.  The nurses, doctors and technicians are all the most caring and compassionate medical workers I've ever met.

            While I have had many difficult challenges in my life in the past few years, I keep returning to gratitude and kindness.  You truly do not know to be thankful for something until you risk losing it.  I still get to put on a pink-and-white robe occasionally, but just for check-ups.  Of course, when you’ve had cancer, even check-ups are a little stressful.  But putting on the robe also reminds me of the kindness and camaraderie of the other patients and staff.  I’m not sure what happened to all of those women, some of whom were on their second journey through cancer.  But what I do know is that life is better when you can see your shared humanity and when you are kind to each other.  Kindness does matter.  

No comments:

Post a Comment